Arrests as EDL storms meeting
Date published: 15 November 2010
AROUND 20 members of a far-right group stormed a meeting at Oldham’s Pakistani Community Centre yesterday.
Police say the action from the English Defence League (EDL) resulted in a large disturbance and four men were arrested on suspicion of affray.
Up to 40 people were present at the meeting in Marlborough Street, Glodwick, at around 3.45pm when EDL members arrived and disturbed the meeting.
EDL is having an increased presence in Oldham and in September caused a disturbance when its supporters ran riot through Oldham. Bottles were thrown at police and eight people arrested.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Revealed: which areas of Oldham have the highest coronavirus cases
- 2Oldham's Covid-19 infection rates continue to rise
- 3Suspected loan sharks arrested in Oldham raids
- 4Council leader backs plans for £150m investment in Royton energy recovery facility
- 5Borough sees another 127 Covid-19 cases in a week