Muslims condemn barbaric attack
Date published: 24 May 2013
PRAYERS for peace will be said at Oldham’s Mayoral Service on Sunday in response to the brutal murder of soldier Lee Rigby in London.
Oldham Interfaith Forum has deplored the attack in Woolwich on Wednesday and said expressions of concern have poured into their offices.
Qari Manzoor Ahmed Shakir, secretary to Oldham Mosques Council and Oldham Interfaith Forum said: “Justifying this killing in the name of faith or religion is false. We utterly reject any such claim.”
Qari Abdul Shakoor, chairman of Oldham Mosques Council, said: “This is a truly barbaric act that has no basis in Islam and we condemn it unreservedly. Our thoughts are with the victim and his family. We understand the victim is a serving member of our armed forces. Muslims have long served in the armed forces, proudly and with honour.”
The Mayoral service starts at 10.45am. Events start with a parade from the Civic Centre at 10am.
REPORTS of Oldham Muslims celebrating the shock killing were false, police said yesterday.
A rumour was spread through Twitter that police were “trying to disperse hundreds of Muslims in Victoria Street, Oldham, celebrating the murder of British soldier.”
Police said there was no such unrest
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Three arrested after man stabbed to death in Oldham
- 2Arrests made in Oldham after series of armed robberies
- 3Stabbing victim was previously jailed for torture of 16 year-old boy.
- 4Four masked men rob garden centre and attack worker in Failsworth
- 5Rochdale's Classic Car Show returns to mark 60th anniversary of famous Rochdale Olympic Sports Car