Councillor steps down from post
Date published: 01 April 2014
LABOUR councillor Nigel Newton has announced he will stand down from his St James’ ward post for personal reasons.
Elected in May 2011, Councillor Newton has attended only one of the last seven meetings he was expected to attend. His last attendance was an Oldham Council meeting in October 2013.
Councillor Newton said: “Unfortunately, my personal circumstances have meant it isn’t possible for me to continue. The support of the people of St James’ has helped me enormously and I want to thank them from the bottom of my heart.”
Council leader Jim McMahon paid tribute to Councillor Newton.
He said: “It is testament to Nigel that he decided if he wasn’t able to give 100 per cent then it was better to stand aside and give someone else the opportunity. I wish Nigel well for the future.”
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Police probe continues after man suffers lacerations during fighting at Chadderton pub
- 2Chadderton apprentice Ellie is blazing a trail for International Women’s Day and Careers Week
- 3How Oldham’s abandoned mineshafts could change the town’s future
- 4The plan that could revive a dying town centre
- 5Holly excited ahead of Latics Women's Academy launch