Councillor steps down from post
Date published: 01 April 2014
LABOUR councillor Nigel Newton has announced he will stand down from his St James’ ward post for personal reasons.
Elected in May 2011, Councillor Newton has attended only one of the last seven meetings he was expected to attend. His last attendance was an Oldham Council meeting in October 2013.
Councillor Newton said: “Unfortunately, my personal circumstances have meant it isn’t possible for me to continue. The support of the people of St James’ has helped me enormously and I want to thank them from the bottom of my heart.”
Council leader Jim McMahon paid tribute to Councillor Newton.
He said: “It is testament to Nigel that he decided if he wasn’t able to give 100 per cent then it was better to stand aside and give someone else the opportunity. I wish Nigel well for the future.”
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Families move into new FCHO affordable housing development in Royton
- 2Teenage gang car-jack woman at knife-point in Oldham
- 3Oldham sees highest daily new cases since start of pandemic
- 4Saddleworth School accused of 'cover-ups' after pupil is left with slashed face
- 5Calls for ‘targeted’ curfews at venues in high infection areas