Councillor steps down from post
Date published: 01 April 2014
LABOUR councillor Nigel Newton has announced he will stand down from his St James’ ward post for personal reasons.
Elected in May 2011, Councillor Newton has attended only one of the last seven meetings he was expected to attend. His last attendance was an Oldham Council meeting in October 2013.
Councillor Newton said: “Unfortunately, my personal circumstances have meant it isn’t possible for me to continue. The support of the people of St James’ has helped me enormously and I want to thank them from the bottom of my heart.”
Council leader Jim McMahon paid tribute to Councillor Newton.
He said: “It is testament to Nigel that he decided if he wasn’t able to give 100 per cent then it was better to stand aside and give someone else the opportunity. I wish Nigel well for the future.”
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Schoolchildren surprised by Army helicopter landing in Shaw
- 2Resturants in Oldham and Rochdale are among the best in Britain
- 3Oldham students travel to Rome to witness patron of school become a Saint
- 4Oldham's Lyndhurst Primary School on ITV's This Morning
- 5Interserve wins £13m contract to create a ‘cultural gateway’ for Oldham with new Heritage & Arts...