Disabled scheme discredited - Debbie
Date published: 07 October 2015
LABOUR MP Debbie Abrahams has slammed a new government programme designed to support disabled people at work.
The MP for Oldham East and Saddleworth and shadow minister for disabled people, says Disability Confident has been discredited following revelations in a Freedom of Information release.
The FoI request, made by Disability News Service, discovered claims made by Work and Pensions Secretary Iain Duncan Smith that more than 1,000 employers have signed up to Disability Confident are untrue.
Mrs Abrahams said: “The truth is fewer than 400 employers have signed up and only 68 are active partners. The Disability Confident campaign has the potential to help address the current 30 per cent disability employment gap, but it needs leadership, not spin.
“This sort of inflated claim should be seen as inappropriate from anyone. The fact that Iain Duncan Smith is a senior government minister and repeatedly misleads the public is totally unacceptable.”
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Oldham child rapist sentenced to 18 years in jail after sexually abusing three young boys
- 2Council animation celebrates the re-opening of Oldham’s high streets and reminds residents to do...
- 3Oldhamers gearing up for a return to the pub - albeit outdoors for now
- 4Dovestone Rangers Service is closed following drop in revenue
- 5Pub which lost licence over Covid breaches denied new licence