‘Arrogant’ Buckley must quit
Date published: 25 March 2016
DEFIED calls to resign . . . Councillor Mike Buckley
Pressure was piled on Saddleworth parish councillor Mike Buckley to resign after his conviction for downloading indecent images of children,
Councillor Arooj Shah, cabinet member for performance and corporate governance, branded his refusal do so “breathtakingly arrogant”.
Oldham East and Saddleworth MP Debbie Abrahams is campaigning for legislation to stop anyone convicted of a sex offence from serving on a local authority.
Councillor Shah said: “Saddleworth Parish Council’s hands are tied, ultimately meaning Councillor Buckley can continue to hold office if he chooses to do so. There’s limited legal recourse to remove him from that position.”
Councillor Shah added that many of her colleagues, including council leader Jean Stretton, shared her view that the law should be changed.
“I don’t think it can be right for anyone convicted of a child sex offence to serve on a local authority or parish council,” she said.
“I find Councillor Buckley’s refusal to resign breathtakingly arrogant. If he cannot see why this does not make him fit to hold public office, then perhaps it would better if he had never held office in the first place.”
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1‘If you don’t act now we are looking at a lockdown’: 11th hour warning to residents ahead of...
- 2Oldham has the highest Covid-19 infection rate in the country
- 3Man arrested following 'utterly shocking' rape of a 14-year-old girl
- 4Why increased testing doesn’t explain fears over rising cases
- 5Revealed: which areas of Oldham have the highest coronavirus cases