Suspicious package "unviable"
Reporter: Jess Reeves
Date published: 03 May 2019
The scene at Oldham Libary
UPDATE: Police have confirmed the device in Oldham library is "unviable"
Police have evacuated all staff and visitors in Oldham Library due to a suspicious package being found in the men's toilets.
The incident is being explored as linked to another package also found in Piccadilly gardens in Manchester, which is known not to be a viable device.
A 26-year old man has been formally arrested and enquiries are ongoing.
Transport links including metrolink services have been affected as a result of the cordon and surrounding roads around the library on Greaves Street remain closed.
Do you have a story for us? Want to tell us about something going on in and around Oldham? Let us know by emailing email@example.com , calling our Oldham-based newsroom on 0161 633 2121 , tweeting us @oldhamchronicle or messaging us through our Facebook page. All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Rejected contentious 77-house plan in Oldham returns to committee
- 2Students at Oasis Academy Oldham go on to a 'very exciting future'
- 3Superfast broadband will come to Oldham
- 4Blue Coat head salutes hard work and commitment on GCSE results day
- 517 year old girl from Oldham dies of suspected drugs overdose at Leeds Festival