It's definitely not cricket as village match is abandoned
Reporter: Ken Bennett
Date published: 07 September 2020
Parish councillor and cricket umpire John Battye
Two village cricket teams are under investigation after their match was abandoned because of unruly behaviour on the pitch.
Local residents report the Delph Second XI versus Birkby Rose Hill match was abandoned during the second innings due to unruly behaviour by both teams.
Cricket-mad Parish Councillor John Battye was one of the umpires and when approached for a comment, he confirmed the match was abandoned due to the alleged misbehaviour of players from both sides.
He said: “I have been asked by the Huddersfield Cricket League to write a report to be considered later this month.
“As the matter is under active investigation it would be inappropriate to make any further comment at this time.”
Do you have a story for us? Want to tell us about something going on in and around Oldham? Let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org , calling our Oldham-based newsroom on 0161 633 2121 , tweeting us @oldhamchronicle or messaging us through our Facebook page. All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Oldham businessman: 'I can do council top-job for half the salary'
- 2First Renew Shop opens in Oldham, benefiting residents and the environment
- 3Image released after man hits child on-board train
- 4Teacher struck off after traces of files containing indecent images of children discovered on his...
- 5Brownfield sites to be transformed with hundreds of homes