Hathershaw College celebrate student achievements with annual Prize Presentation
Date published: 26 October 2021
Cllr Jenny Harrison with Gloria Osarenmwindamwen Igbineweka and Lorena Colompar
Hathershaw College have recognised the achievements of outstanding students and groups in their annual Prize Presentation Evening.
The event, held at the Queen Elizabeth Hall, was attended by over 200 students and staff to officially reward hard work and excellence in what has proven to be a very trying and challenging year.
A spokesperson for the College said it was a night of celebration and joy.
"We are delighted to recognize a year of amazing student achievements, our results continue to show year on year improvement, with an impressive number of students securing the highest grades available to them.
"Not only this, our students have attained success within a period in which they had to show great strength through lockdowns, school closures and missed schooling. What has been a very difficult time for everyone has been dealt with in a manner that is mature and commendable. So, we not only acknowledge the amazing achievements of our students but the circumstances in which they were attained.
Two hundred students were invited to be rewarded for their hard work, attendance and excellence on the night, and consisted of current Year 8-11 and last year’s school leavers.
This was the 10th year of the Prize Presentation Evening where students, family, friends, staff and local figures are invited to an evening of sharing and celebration. Special guests taking the stage to present awards and speak, included; the Mayor of Oldham Cllr Jenny Harrison, Cllr Shaid Mushtaq, Mrs Pamela Sleigh of the Duke of Edinburgh North Operations Office, local businessman and school advocate, Ansar Ali and Jayne Clarke, Executive Principal of the Pinnacle Learning Trust.
Special awards included:
• Pinnacle English Award: Phoebe Broster
• Pinnacle Maths Award: Muhammed Zain
• Roshni Panchani Art Award: Kadija Begum
• OSFC Prize: Sabira Miah
• Outstanding Results: Phoebe Broster
• Oldham College Prize: Joseph Brooks
• Nigel Marland Award for Endeavour: Maria Rehan
• Colin Bell Vocational Award: Ruckshana Akthar
• Zakir Maroof Business Enterprise Award: Ahmed Raza
• Ron Scholes Science Award: Mohammed Hasnain Arif
• Hasan Umar Award for Courage Through Adversity: Meraj Ahmedzai
• For Housing Special Recognition Award: Mary-J McGinty & Billy Wilcock
Following the event, Mark Giles, Principal at Hathershaw College said: "I am so proud of the students whose achievement we are celebrating. They have shown great resilience over the last couple of years but they have kept learning and making progress, albeit sometimes in a virtual environment.
"I also what to thank school staff who have risen to the extraordinary challenges we have faced, adapting to remote education, supporting families and keeping children safe, as well as the support shown by parents. The celebration event at the Queen Elizabeth Hall is yet another step back to normality."
Do you have a story for us? Want to tell us about something going on in and around Oldham? Let us know by emailing email@example.com , calling our Oldham-based newsroom on 0161 633 2121 , tweeting us @oldhamchronicle or messaging us through our Facebook page. All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Oldham man who broke a woman's leg by jumping on it and placed a gun in her mouth has been jailed.
- 2Council confirm use of hotel for asylum seekers
- 3Watch the augmented reality video of new town centre plans
- 4Man who was injured in firework accident at Delph vigil has died
- 5Oldham mum's desperate search for the only food her autistic daughter will eat