Lib Dems: We have a democratic mandate now to champion Remain
Date published: 30 May 2019
Thank you to everyone who supported the Liberal Democrats in the European elections last week.
We know that many usual Labour or Conservative supporters gave us their votes because for Britain to remain in the European Union is a cause that supersedes usual party loyalties. We have a democratic mandate now to champion Remain.
The Brexit Party has done well too. Its leader, Nigel Farage, says what he is against but has yet to give any idea what he favours. Those who want Britain to leave the partnership of nations that is the EU must now tell us how they will deal with issues that no one country can tackle alone. What will they do about the climate crisis? What will they surrender in negotiating a trade deal with a superpower like China? It is easy to tear down and destroy, much harder to build and create.
Liberal Democrat MEPs for the North West
The views expressed are those of the author of the letter and not those of Oldham Chronicle.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Three arrested after man stabbed to death in Oldham
- 2Arrests made in Oldham after series of armed robberies
- 3Stabbing victim was previously jailed for torture of 16 year-old boy.
- 4Four masked men rob garden centre and attack worker in Failsworth
- 5Rochdale's Classic Car Show returns to mark 60th anniversary of famous Rochdale Olympic Sports Car