Ex-Champions League striker joins Latics
Date published: 18 January 2019
New signing Urko Vera with caretaker boss Pete Wild
Oldham Athletic have confirmed the signing of a former La Liga striker.
Urko Vera has signed a permanent deal until the end of the season.
The 31 year old is available to play against Macclesfield on Saturday, which will come as welcome news for caretaker manager Pete Wild – as striker Chris O’Grady is ruled out with an ankle injury.
Vera has played for a number of teams in Spain, including Basque giants Athletic Bilbao.
He has also played with SD Eibar, earning promotion from the Segunda Division to La Liga as champions, as well as scoring 17 goals in 38 appearances for CD Mirandes.
The forward has also represented CA Osasuna and SD Huesca in Spain, before moving abroad to play in the K League with Jeonbuk Hyundai.
He won the league with his side in South Korea.
Following that spell, he has been playing for Champions League side CFR Cluj in Romania, as well as Astra Giurhiu.
Vera has been given the number 11 shirt at Latics.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Schoolchildren surprised by Army helicopter landing in Shaw
- 2Resturants in Oldham and Rochdale are among the best in Britain
- 3Oldham students travel to Rome to witness patron of school become a Saint
- 4Interserve wins £13m contract to create a ‘cultural gateway’ for Oldham with new Heritage & Arts...
- 5Oldham's Lyndhurst Primary School on ITV's This Morning