Oldham Athletic set to unveil Paul Scholes as new manager
Reporter: Jon Chubb
Date published: 28 January 2019
Reports in the media in recent days have speculated that a deal to bring Scholes to Boundary Park has been agreed with the Oldham Evening Chronicle now understanding that an announcement could be made shortly after the trip to Milton Keynes Dons on Tuesday night (29th January).
It would be the 44-year old’s first step into management and be at his boyhood club.
Scholes name has been linked with the vacant managerial position at Latics, indeed he was interviewed for the role prior to Richie Wellens getting the nod.
Now it appears the time is right for the former Manchester United and England midfielder to take the reins, bringing to an end a long recruitment process at Boundary Park.
A number of names had been linked with the job with some even thinking the current caretaker manager, Pete Wild, was the favourite to be offered the position until the end of the season.
However, defeats at Macclesfield Town and last Saturday at Doncaster Rovers have put pay to that.
Oldham Evening Chronicle has contacted the club regarding the appointment of Paul Scholes, but we are yet to receive a response.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Schoolchildren surprised by Army helicopter landing in Shaw
- 2Resturants in Oldham and Rochdale are among the best in Britain
- 3Oldham students travel to Rome to witness patron of school become a Saint
- 4Oldham's Lyndhurst Primary School on ITV's This Morning
- 5Interserve wins £13m contract to create a ‘cultural gateway’ for Oldham with new Heritage & Arts...