Oldham hold off Mansfield fightback to keep playoff dream alive

Reporter: Jon Chubb
Date published: 23 April 2019

Pete Wild’s men also put a major dent in the Stags automatic promotion hopes thanks to a gritty display which saw them extend their unbeaten run to six games.

Latics’ fans had to wait until the 29th minute for them to get their noses in front, Mohamed Maouche played the perfect ball through into the penalty area leaving Gevaro Nepomuceno with the simple task of converting from all of 12 yards out.

Oldham would take that lead into halftime but they didn’t waste any time extending their advantage after the break, Maouche going from provider to scorer from close range after latching onto Nepomuceno’s shot which had been blocked.

Mansfield Town did get their names on the board just three minutes later, with Jacob Mellis teeing up Tyler Walker, who beat Daniel Iversen through the keeper’s legs.

However, Oldham restored their two-goal cushion just seven minutes later, Nepomuceno bagging his second and Oldham’s third after pouncing in a weak clearance to slam home making it 3-1.

That should’ve game, set and match for the home side, but Mansfield weren’t done, 14 minutes from time Neal Bishop ensured it would be a nervous end for the majority of the more than 6,000 fans in Boundary Park.

He squeezed his shot inside the post from all of 18-yards out.

Despite an onslaught from the visitors, Oldham were able to hold on and claim what could turn out to a be a vital three points in the run in to the end of the season.

It leaves Pete Wild’s men 12th in table, four points off a place in the playoffs with three games left.

Next up for Latics is a trip to Exeter City on Saturday (27th April).


Do you have a story for us? Want to tell us about something going on in and around Oldham? Let us know by emailing news@oldham-chronicle.co.uk , calling our Oldham-based newsroom on 0161 633 2121 , tweeting us @oldhamchronicle or messaging us through our Facebook page. All contact will be treated in confidence.