Roughyeds ease past West Wales Raiders
Reporter: Roger Halstead
Date published: 01 July 2019
The victory takes them up to second in the table
Despite having to make major changes to their line-up in the build-up to the game, Oldham beat West Wales Raiders 56-6 at home to go second in Betfred League 1 with seven games to play.
Prop Ben Davies withdraw because of a calf injury sustained in the pre-game warm-up and tackling machine Liam Bent rang in to say he had been involved in a car accident en route to the ground.
"He wasn't seriously hurt but I insisted he went straight home from the scene," said head coach Scott Naylor;
"We weren't amazing but we had a job to do and we did it."
Danny Langtree scored a ten-minute hat-trick early in the game for an Oldham side that scored 11 tries in total with centre Cameron Leeming and hooker Matty Wilkinson each adding a brace.
Next Sunday, second-placed Oldham travel to leaders Whitehaven in a top-two battle that could be decisive in the hunt for automatic promotion.
Do you have a story for us? Want to tell us about something going on in and around Oldham? Let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org , calling our Oldham-based newsroom on 0161 633 2121 , tweeting us @oldhamchronicle or messaging us through our Facebook page. All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Manhunt after stabbing outside a house in Oldham
- 2Dog tied to gates of rescue centre during the night needs loving new home
- 3Professor who lived on same street as famous scientist Brian Cox, launches his own book
- 4Plans to increase Council Tax in Oldham to be discussed tonight
- 5Blue Coat School scores record number of Oxbridge places this year