Date published: 19 March 2013
Christian Jones: ready to run
AN Oldham runner has helped to launch an illuminating work of art set to light up Salford Quays.
Christian Jones of Limeside Road Runners is backing art charity NVA’s plea for people to take part in Speed of Light.
More than 400 runners will create a human work of art over three nights this Thursday to Saturday in a celebration of movement, light and sound.
Wearing specially designed light suits, each night runners will animate the canal banks, bridges and public spaces around The Lowry, IWM North and MediaCityUK as they move in choreographed patterns set to a specially-commissioned piece of music.
The spectacle has already been staged for the Edinburgh Festival and in Japan.
Angus Farquhar, creative director of NVA, said: “The combination of water, bridges, raised routes and signature architecture is a powerful setting for the subtle patterns of light the runners make.”
Runners must be fit enough to run 5K with ease and available for technical rehearsals. There’s a fee of £10 which includes a T-shirt and a goodie bag.
Register as a runner at www.nvaspeedoflight.org.uk.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1There's no mountain high enough for Oldham family fundraising after dad’s brain tumour diagnosis
- 2Councillor fears Alexandra Park could become a 'no-go area'
- 3Courageous Imran says thanks to his hero rescuers with a tasty curry
- 4Teenager fined and disqualified from driving
- 5Charlie Elms death - do you recognise this man?