Menu

Woman in court charged with causing death of schoolgirl

Date published: 10 January 2019


A woman accused of causing the death of 11-year-old Marianne Haboc in Rochdale back in October, 2018 has appeared in court and been told she will remain in custody.

Thirty-three-year old Sobia Aftar, from Taylor Street, made a brief appearance at Manchester and Salford Magistrates Court yesterday (Wednesday).

She spoke only to confirm her name and address, but didn’t enter a plea.

Ms Aftar was arrested following a collision on Taylor Street on Monday, October 1, with police saying at the time it involved a Range Rover and a pedestrian.

Eleven-year old Marianne, who had been on her way home from school at the time of the collision, suffered serious injuries and, despite the best efforts of paramedics, died at the scene.

At the hearing, Ms Aftar was refused bail with the judge remanding her in custody until she was due to appear at Manchester Crown Court early in February.

Tributes poured in for Marianne following her death, including from her family who said in a statement: “Marianne, our beautiful daughter, was a natural born leader that could motivate friends to unite and do the same together regardless of age, race or belief.

“It was her own goal to be a top pupil of the year before leaving primary school.

"To achieve this, she had a little plan by coming to school early so she could meet more young pupils to play with and to improve her pro-activeness and relationship to them and her teacher.”


Do you have a story for us? Want to tell us about something going on in and around Oldham? Let us know by emailing news@oldham-chronicle.co.uk , calling our Oldham-based newsroom on 0161 633 2121 , tweeting us @oldhamchronicle or messaging us through our Facebook page. All contact will be treated in confidence.


Advertisement