GMP issues bogus caller warning after incident in Shaw
Date published: 24 July 2020
A male bogus caller has been reported to GMP
Local police have urged householders to stay alert after reports of a bogus caller in the Shaw area.
A post on the GMP Oldham Central Facebook page read today: "A man has been reported to GMP after approaching an elderly resident claiming that they are from a utility company and have installed their Smart Meter in the past and now have come round to take the fake £200.00 maintenance or installation fee.
"Direct Debit information was also asked for."
Officers have asked locals to please look out for elderly neighbours by informing them not to engage with a man or males claiming they have installed their Smart Meter in the past.
If you have any concerns please ring 101 or use the Live Chat facility through the GMP website here
Always ring 999 in an emergency.
Do you have a story for us? Want to tell us about something going on in and around Oldham? Let us know by emailing email@example.com , calling our Oldham-based newsroom on 0161 633 2121 , tweeting us @oldhamchronicle or messaging us through our Facebook page. All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Council responds to concerns popular park could become ‘no go’ area following ‘disturbing’
- 2Oldham man among three charged following cocaine conspiracy investigation raids
- 3GP tells Oldham's men - “don’t wait, let’s check out that prostate”
- 4Caged - 'Pernicious' Oldham man who sexually communicated with two teenage boys
- 5Man arrested in Manchester hotel after over 25,000 phishing messages sent in one day