Two arrested after man stabbed in street

Date published: 18 February 2021

A man has died after beeing stabbed in Moston in the early hours of this morning.

The police were called shortly before 4.50am to reports that a man had been stabbed on Whitstable Road.

Emergency services attended and a 39-year-old man was taken to hospital in a critical condition with stab wounds to his arm and chest.

The man died shortly after 11am. His next of kin has been informed and are being supported by specialist officers.

Two men - aged 20 and 21 - have been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder and remain in custody for questioning.

A 41-year-old man was also arrested on suspicion of attempted murder and has since been released with no further action.

An increased number of patrols are expected in the area over the coming days.

Investigators from GMP's Major Incident Team (MIT) believe it is an isolated incident and are appealing to the public for any information as part of their enquiries.

Detective Inspector Gareth Davies, of GMP's MIT, said: "This is a devastating incident and our thoughts immediately lie with the man's family and ensuring that they get all the answers possible as to what has tragically happened here.

"Our investigation is in its infancy and there are several lines of enquiry we are pursuing to begin to ascertain the circumstances of this incident but it is vital we hear from any members of the public with information - a man has lost his life and if you know something I implore you to get in touch.

"What we do know is that the victim had left an address on Whitstable Road and was found a short time later to have been stabbed a number of times - injuries which have proved to be fatal.

"We have two men remaining in custody but we are keen to speak to anyone who lives around the area and who may have even the slightest bit of information that may support us with our investigation."


A 20-year-old man arrested on suspicion of attempted murder has been questioned and since released with no further action.

A 21-year-old man arrested on suspicion of attempted murder has been questioned and released with no further action. He is currently being questioned under caution on suspicion of affray.

Do you have a story for us? Want to tell us about something going on in and around Oldham? Let us know by emailing , calling our Oldham-based newsroom on 0161 633 2121 , tweeting us @oldhamchronicle or messaging us through our Facebook page. All contact will be treated in confidence.

While you are here...

...we have a small favour to ask; would you support Oldham Chronicle and join other residents making a contribution, from just £3 per month?

Oldham Chronicle offers completely independent local journalism with free access. If you enjoy the independent news and other free services we offer, please consider supporting us financially and help Oldham Chronicle to continue to provide local engaging content for years to come. Thank you.

Support Oldham Chronicle