Emergency services called to fire at Dovestones Reservoir
Date published: 03 March 2021
Firecrews and police were called out to a popular Oldham beauty spot last night, after reports of a blaze.
The emergency services were alerted to an incident at Dovestones Reservoir, earlier on Tuesday, March 2nd.
When they arrived at the scene, the fire had gone out.
Initial thoughts were that a group of youths were responsible for starting it.
Police officers spoke with five people at the scene. They were issued with fines for breaching coronavirus lockdown rules.
Firefighters made the area safe and dampened down as a precuation.
GMP Saddleworth and Lees Facebook page read: "Earlier this evening Police and fire brigade received a report of youths starting a fire at Dovestones reservoir.
"On arrival the fire had been extinguished and fire brigade further doused the area with water for safety.
"Five adults were spoken to and issued with fines for breach of covid regulations."
There have been scores of visitors to the sites, despite lockdown restrictions, in recent months.
Do you have a story for us? Want to tell us about something going on in and around Oldham? Let us know by emailing email@example.com , calling our Oldham-based newsroom on 0161 633 2121 , tweeting us @oldhamchronicle or messaging us through our Facebook page. All contact will be treated in confidence.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Plans for 160 homes to be decided by councillors
- 2‘All I needed was a chance’: The former ‘speed’ addict who used lockdown to turn her life around
- 3Dogs Trust’s longest term resident hopes to find love as lockdown lifts
- 4Man who fled after crashing his car into a wall is jailed
- 5NHS staff at the Royal Oldham Hospital hit with parking fines from private company