We have to be able to make our own rules
Date published: 08 October 2018
No-one said it would be easy - and the continuing Brexit negotiations show that it is far from so.
But we voted to leave the EU and leave we must and not just in name but in reality.
We have to be able to make our own rules, control immigration and establish our own free trade agreements.
The EU has obviously not been keen to help with this as giving us a good deal could be seen as an encouragement for other member states to head for the door.
But now Brussels is actually offering us a Canada-style trade deal and we should be biting their hand off.
Theresa May’s so-called Chequers deal is not the right solution and she must ditch it even if it does mean losing face.
A Canada-style deal does still leave the problem of the Irish border but it is not insuperable especially with the aid of current technology.
Mrs May talks the talk about Brexit meaning Brexit and she really has to walk the walk and follow the Referendum mandate.
North West MEP
UK Independence Party
The views expressed are those of the author of the letter and not those of Oldham Chronicle.
Most Viewed News Stories
- 1Three arrested after man stabbed to death in Oldham
- 2Arrests made in Oldham after series of armed robberies
- 3Stabbing victim was previously jailed for torture of 16 year-old boy.
- 4Four masked men rob garden centre and attack worker in Failsworth
- 5Rochdale's Classic Car Show returns to mark 60th anniversary of famous Rochdale Olympic Sports Car